trying to understand XDG - a plea for help

Loic Bernable leto at vilya.org
Tue Mar 8 12:32:51 EET 2005

Selon David Faure :
> On Monday 07 March 2005 23:20, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> > - right click on a file with *.myextension
> > - choose "Open with... -> Other"
> > - choose /usr/local/bin/my_binary
> > - set "Remember application association for this type of file".
>
> Funny - we debugged this at Linux Expo on debian (which has a very similar menu
> system as Mandrake I think), and it turned out to be a setup problem - I forgot the
> details, but something was quite inconsistent with the global and local paths, and I
> had to suspect a bad patch. Loic, do you remember the details?

More or less :o)

Konqueror, when we precised to remember the preferred application, wrote
a file in ~/.local/share/applications/X-Debian-Apps-Viewers-xpdf.desktop
(we dealt with pdf files).

Debian has its own directory in /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg
where we can also find a X-Debian-Apps-Viewers-xpdf.desktop file.

Lastly, the default app used at this time is gpdf, which is described in
the file /usr/share/applications/gpdf.desktop.

The issue was that the /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg directory
was added manually and not properly configured into KDE configuration.
If I remember well, when we run kbuildsycoca, it parses the built-in
Debian directory, /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/menu-xdg.

There was a name collision problem. When I rename my
~/.local/share/applications/X-Debian-Apps-Viewers-xpdf.desktop into
~/.local/share/applications/X-Debian-Apps-xpdf.desktop (for example) and
I run kbuildsycoca, the .local config file is parsed and the xpdf app is
launched without any problem.

Hope this bad remembering could help you solve this problem (at the
packaging level, most probably).

++

--
### Loïc Bernable aka Leto -- leto at vilya.org -- Parinux, April, LinuxFR ###
Si Dieu existait, il faudrait s'en débarasser