Icon Name Standardization, second draft

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Sat Mar 26 05:20:48 EET 2005

On Thursday 24 March 2005 17:47, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 04:08 +0000, Frans Englich wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > * Small fixes, a heap of names were sanitized, and spelling/phrasing
> > fixes in the spec not tied to icon names(perhaps it conflicts with
> > Rodney's recent patch).
>
> The fixes to various parts of the Icon Theme spec should be implemented
> and sent as a separate patch. They have no relevance to the naming of
> icons, and make the patch a little more difficult to read.

Right, I'll pull them out if they cause trouble.

> > * The emoticons in the Symbol category were removed; this was discussed
> > recently on this list, and needs a new take if to be part of this
> > spec(which there are many advantages of).
>
> I don't think shoving some random subset of icons, into a category
> called "Symbols" is a bit redundant. All icons are symbols.

See its description:

"Symbols. Icons representing symbols. For example, while an action named
navigate-left may be represented by anything that communicates navigating to
the left, a symbol named arrow-left should literally be an arrow, and not a
“Man walking to the left”, for example. It should be interpreted literally."

In other words, while for all other icons the actual motive(the symbol) is up
to the designer(choice of metaphor etc), the icons in the Symbols context
have a fixed motive. The end result is in either case a symbol, but for the
Symbol context the designer cannot choose what symbol it should have. For
example, an icon resembling an enter (keyboard) key, should be exactly that,
not "Go" or something else abstract concept which can be expressed with
several different kinds of symbols.

Then you can argue the Symbols context isn't necessary, or the name is bad,
etc.

[snip mime]
> > * Since it likely will be brought up: I don't think a concept of optional
> > name-sets makes sense in practice. If icons are needed they're need, it's
> > that simple.  Since the icons exists if they are required, it's a matter
> > of refactoring(e.g putting the icons in a theme instead of the
> > application package), and themes can reach full coverage in practice by
> > inheriting from large base themes such as crystalsvg, if they cannot
> > provide them themselves.
>
> It does make sense. You need to not require artists to create 30000
> icons to make a reasonably complete theme. Most artists don't have that
> kind of time.

They are not required to create them. All they need is to inherit from a theme
to get full coverage. What's important to understand is that if an icon is
required by one application, at least one version of the icon exists.
Otherwise the application doesn't function, and the requirement would have
been left out.

Why I think a concept of optional name-sets won't work, is that from the
application perspective icons can't be optional -- if they're missing the
application breaks. Hence, for a distribution to in a general way provide
icons for arbitrary applications, they must ship somekind of "large base
theme" -- and that's what specialized themes inherits and overrides, and
hence simply fallbacks to un-themed icons when specialized/rare areas are
entered. And in that way artists don't have to create full themes, only what
they want to cover.

> Most icons can be genericized enough to reduce the number
> of icons that needs to exist, to a much smaller number.
>
> > That was the details, left is two large changes: the removal of flag icon
> > names, and the (temporary) removal of a large set of names.
> >
> > 		***
> >
> > The country-flag icons were completely removed. Judging from the previous
> > discussions a majority of people found various reasons for not having
> > them. It appears that people are convinced the complications of
> > flag-icons are avoided if it's not covered by the specification.
>
> "Standing aside to do nothing, is just as bad as pulling the trigger."
> We can solve the problem, and avoid the political issues at the same
> time.

You must be more specific. In my previous letter I wrote that the reason to
provide a naming pattern for flag-icons is to "solve the problem, and avoid
political issues", just as how you write. Explain exactly why my proposal to
solving the flag-issues is wrong.

Hm.. perhaps fork the thread, since this is getting lengthy.

> The point of the naming spec should not be to provide a canonical
> list of all possible icon names. That is just not a feasible goal. We
> need to set the standard for how icons are named as well as what the
> base set of icons is named.
>
> > All icon names that was removed have been placed in the attached file
> > "removedNames.txt", and it is probably a good base for constructing name
> > sets from, since its names were derived from GNOME's and KDE's icons(see
> > the initial draft for details).
>
> No such file has been attached.

Ups. Now it is.

[snip]

> Firstly, as stated before in reply to earlier drafts, this does not
> belong in the Icon Theme Specification itself. It needs to be a separate
> specification, which is referenced by the Icon Theme Specification, and
> strongly encouraged by.

I see two reasons to why it should be "separate":

* A semantic distinction. I wouldn't understand why; afterall, the current
specification deals with names(prefixes, paths) already. If this is not about
icon themes, what is it then?

* A matter of reading convenience, that the specification becomes a too large
page. This was mentioned in the previous discussions, and which I agreed to
and suggested turning on chunking of the Docbook sources. We can do that.

Why do you want to have it separately?

> Secondly, I will agree that the Icon Theme Specification needs to
> explain Context a little better. However, Context is not a reliable
> method of looking up an icon name.

It is neither meant to be a mechanism for looking up icons(unfortuantely), so
it can't fail in that area. That's why the names have prefixes. The draft
namely contains a clarification on this:

"The Context allows the designer to group icons on a conceptual level. It
doesn't act as a namespace in the file system, such that icons can have
identical names, but allows implementations to categorize and sort by it, for
example."

> It needs to either be required by
> the spec for doing lookup of icons, or removed.

Why? Personally, I stay neutral. What you say is that for example KDE should
deprecate certain functionality, and that KDE have that functionality is not
justified. What is wrong with that it "allows implementations to categorize
and sort by it"?

I wouldn't discuss its validness, but keep it to not break backwards
compability as well as avoid conflict with those who like it, and simply
namespace the names(doing lookups by something more than just filename brings
anyway complications).

> In its current state,
> it is pretty unusable. I think FileSystems is a context which needs to
> be removed as well. All of the icons in it really belong under mime
> types, as far as I can tell.

I've found "file system" icons a tricky area too. I see two problems with
using a MIME-name pattern for "file system"-related icons(except for /real/
MIME types of course):

* MIME types have a technical meaning. When a MIME name is used solely as icon
name, then we have opened up to a name clash with an actual MIME type. Hence,
AFAICT, if an icon should be named as a MIME type, an actual MIME type should
exist for it(registered, or informally), in order to avoid trouble.

* Some icons doesn't fit into the MIME concept, AFAICT. An icon for a MIME
type represents a media, identifies a passive /object/. However, an icon for
the /action/ "encrypt file" is far from a MIME type, but still file system
related. file system != MIME.

[..]

> Your patch also seems to have a large comment section as a reference for
> how to name icons. The scheme for naming icons needs to be defined as
> part of the specification itself, not as guidelines in a comment for
> future self-reference, when updating the spec.
>
> In reference to the comment block, however, there are also some other
> issues. It should state that icon names should be created in the "POSIX
> C locale" and not "with American spelling".

While "american spelling" surely gives an instruction on how to judge in
certain cases, it does not cover what Posix C locale outlines. It's a
different thing(such as character set). But, regardless of if the guidelines
becomes internal or part of the specification, this needs a deeper
discussion(reference to Posix C locale, spelling conventions etc).

> The list of allowed
> characters should not be restricted to lowercase alphanumerics and the
> dash or hyphen character. Underscore, period, plus, and possibly the @
> symbol, should be allowed as well. And, icons which aren't actually
> Actions, should not be in the Actions context. They should be
> categorized more apprporiately. For instance, the "category-*" icons
> should be in a "Categories" context, and the "category-" prefix should
> be stripped off.

(as stated above, the prefix cannot be stripped). But I'll add a Categories
context in next draft.

> Another good rule to follow, is that not all items should have icons.
> While icons are pretty, too many can be overwhelming to the user, and
> distract from what is trying to be found. This goes back to the Generic
> vs. Specific argument. While it might be nice to have icons for all of
> your various tape drives, memory card formats, and everything else, it
> doesn't make sense for most users to have them.

Perhaps it does, perhaps it doesn't. I won't express my opinion in that
matter, and I neither have. I have not added names, I've looked through KDE's
and GNOME's icons and simply created unified name sets from icons which
already exists, and are used. So, when anyone says we don't need to cover the
names(and hence that any such usage should be removed), the spec becomes
intrusive in the field(it doesn't only bring interopability, it tells that
how people have done so far is wrong). Of course, an approach of starting
small to later on be extended, is another thing.

I see the spec as a tool for achieving interopability. I don't know if we can
strongly dictate what people should not do with their icons.

> The most important thing
> we need to do in this spec, is to define style. The content will come
> much more easily then.

A set of generic guidelines which would make it possible to not have a
name-set and that people could independently figure out indentical names
would of course be preferred. I have no idea how that would be phrased, feel
free to write/explain.

I know Andrew Conkling will comment in a couple of days, but after that and
this thread have bounced back and forth or so, I'll prepare the next draft.

Cheers,

		Frans