Mini-proposal for Elevated User Privileges in menu-spec

Tobias Gläßer tobi.web at gmx.de
Sun May 15 17:18:58 EEST 2005

Am Sonntag, den 15.05.2005, 15:40 +0200 schrieb Waldo Bastian:
> X-KDE-SubstituteUID=true|false, with false as default
> X-KDE-Username=<username>, with root as default

I could live with that.

> Would be trivial to add support for a standardized key as well.
> I'm not aware of anyone actually using X-KDE-Username for anything other than
> root, so I don't think it's very important to include that.

I think this feature can be quite useful:
- Because any user can open any program with any user rights (default is
root) , easier than in the command line.
- When someone has two or more user-accounts and wants to do something
  on the other one, but doesn't want to switch the user(ID) on his
  whole desktop environment.
- In the future operating systems might require more fine-grained
  user-privileges.

Just some thoughts...

Greetz...

Tobias Gläßer