Xdgmime implementation problem (text/plain)

DaveMDS list at gurumeditation.it
Wed Nov 9 08:32:09 PST 2005

DaveMDS wrote:

> Hi, I need some help on the use of the f.d.o. xdgmime implementation:
>
> xdgmime don't recognize text/plain file such as TODO files or any
> other unknow text file
> (it recognize file like Makefile, AUTORS, README).
> In other word any generic text file will be of type
> 'application/octet-stream' instead of 'text/plain'
> Is it normal?
> it's a shared-mime-info problem?
> Should I have to check manually the content of the file?

Other strange report from xdg_mime_get_mime_type_for_file():

directory,device,loopback and all other linux-oriented files.

All this file will be reported as 'application/octet-stream'.

So i think I have to check this special case myself, but I don't know
what mime-name give to the files to be standard, ex:
-directory should be 'application/x-directory' or 'inode/directory' or what?
-I have no idea for other type (device, ecc).

Thanks
Dave Andreoli