Last Tango in fdo (was Re: Tango, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Desktop)

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Thu Nov 10 15:03:06 PST 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 10:20:16PM +0000, Richard Moore wrote:
> Ok then, perhaps f.d.o should simply put out a statement saying
> that what the people creating Tango are saying isn't the f.d.o.
> position, then continue to host it.

Why?

Must I also yell from the rooftops that anything in Open Clipart isn't
necessarily 'the fd.o position' because it doesn't agree with several
peoples' ideas on styling?

D-BUS isn't necessarily 'the fd.o position'?

The GTK-Qt engine?

'Get Hot New Stuff' doesn't necessarily align with our goals, however
hazily defined 'our goals' may be?

That we host planet.kernel.org doesn't mean we're about Linux
exclusively and we'd like to trample the rights of the BSDs?

Hosting Qt input methods means we all hate GTK?

(Pet peeve: it's freedesktop.org, not free.desktop.org.)

> As I said earlier in this thread, currently people's perception of
> what f.d.o does is currently contradicted by the fdo web site. If this
> isn't fixed then fdo is acting against its own aims.

Interesting assertion.