Last Tango in fdo (was Re: Tango, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Desktop)

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Thu Nov 10 15:36:37 PST 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 11:20:53PM +0000, Richard Moore wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 10:03:06AM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > Why?
>
> Because, as Travis intimated, what is being said about Tango does not
> reflect its true relationship with freedesktop.org.

So go out there and correct these misrepresentations.

> > Must I also yell from the rooftops that anything in Open Clipart isn't
> > necessarily 'the fd.o position' because it doesn't agree with several
> > peoples' ideas on styling?
>
> The only mention of freedesktop in the openclipart homepage is a note
> saying where it is hosted - hardly the same.
>
> [various off the wall examples deleted]

I don't see how they're 'off the wall' ...

> > (Pet peeve: it's freedesktop.org, not free.desktop.org.)
>
> Well, if I'm abreviating Free Desktop Organisation, it's f.d.o.
> do we need a spec for this? :-)

FDO, surely.

> > > As I said earlier in this thread, currently people's perception of
> > > what f.d.o does is currently contradicted by the fdo web site. If this
> > > isn't fixed then fdo is acting against its own aims.
> >
> > Interesting assertion.
>
> Surely you agree that having the purpose of freedesktop.org misunderstood
> cannot help its aims.

I think that would be the best thing anyone could do for fd.o right
now, and I wish it were so.

> From the website:
>
> 'Unlike a standards organization, freedesktop.org is a "collaboration
> zone" where ideas and code are tossed around, and de facto
> specifications are encouraged.'
>
> Except, that's not how it is often represented. This in turn harms its
> use as a forum for collaborating.

So why don't you go out there and take on any misrepresentations you
see?  I don't see what's stopping you, honestly.  The wiki has said the
same thing for years, which seems to be as solid an authority as anyone
can appeal to here, so surely that's force enough to back you up.

Bored now,
Daniel