proposal request: virtual MIME types unknown in time of installation

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Nov 16 14:45:24 PST 2005

Stanislav Brabec wrote:
>Proposal:
>
>eog.desktop:
>MimeType=virtual/gdk-pixbuf-loader
>
>Then let's have files like:
>XDG_DATA_DIR/mime/packages/gtk+.xml
>XDG_DATA_DIR/mime/packages/gdk-pixbuf-dcraw.xml
>XDG_DATA_DIR/mime/packages/gdk-pixbuf-psd.xml
>
>These files will declare, that virtual/gdk-pixbuf-loader will contain
><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
><mime-info
> xmlns="http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info">
> <mime-type type="virtual/gdk-pixbuf-loader">
>    <provides type="image/x-dcraw"/>
>  </mime-type>
></mime-info>

This looks useful as well for URIs.

The .desktop file spec says %U/%u is "URL", but there are combinations of
possible protocols are too numerous. There are those programs that allow
ftp & http; some provide smb support along with http, but not ftp; some
may support fish and sftp, etc.

Therefore, if a certain program supports "IO backend XYZ", we can find
that backend's .xml file and determine which URIs are supported. If the
URL to be passed isn't supported, the file is downloaded and the
application is watched for modifications to that file.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

1. On frumscafte, hwonne time_t wæs náht, se scieppend þone circolwyrde
wundorcræftlíge cennede and seo eorðe wæs idel and hit wæs gód.