Desktop Entry Spec : RootRequired entry

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Fri Sep 2 15:02:01 EEST 2005

Waldo Bastian schreef:
> What I would like to see clearified is whether, in case of "RootRequired=Yes",
> the menu system should do whatever is needed to run the program as root, or
> whether that is the responsibility of the application itself. In KDE the menu
> system typically calls kdesu to run the application as root when it indicates
> that it requires root, but there are also cases where an application is
> started with normal user privileges but which will require the root password
> later on.
>
> So I think something is needed that covers the following options:
>
> 1) start normally, no root required
> 2) start as root, root required

These look useful and can use desktop/distro specific means to get root,
or simply be hidden if a menu implementation does not provide a way to
get root.

> 3) start normally, root required (e.g. gnome-terminal -e su)

I think this could be indicated in the description/title. Why should the
menu system care about this?

> 4) ask whether to start as root, root not required (optional)

A separate desktop file, maybe?

> 5) start normally, root may be required later on for some actions (optional)

Hmm, sounds like that's up to the application to handle, IMO.

> I don't care too much about 4) and 5)

I don't really see the need for 3). Would you handle that differently
than (1)?

	Jasper