Common spec/interface for file metadata

Jamie McCracken jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Sep 5 11:36:27 EEST 2005

Alexander Larsson wrote:

> While such an API is simple and works for some apps its certainly not
> gonna be usable for applications like file managers or indexers. Calling
> a separate out of process RPC for each file while loading a directory
> would totally kill performance.

If it were needed to be called on each file while loading a directory
(which would only be for limited things like the mime type) then we
could also have an API to return a specific metadata for each file in a
directory in one shot.

EG

GetMimeTypesForFilesInFolder
   input DBUS_TYPE_STRING s (the folder uri)
   output DBUS_TYPE_DICT  a{ss} (the metadata as filename, mimetype)

Most of the other metadata would be retrieved on demand by users
requesting to see additional metadata for a file so the previous API
should suffice for that.

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://www.advogato.org/person/jamiemcc/