A draft for a standard for desktop configuration

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at nit.ca
Mon Sep 12 21:08:34 EEST 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 02:36:27PM +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 14:32 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
>
> > You can find the proposal itself (it's source) here:
> >
> > http://cvs.pvanhoof.be/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/desktop-config-standard/
>
> If you don't have the tools installed to build the PDF:
>
> http://www.pvanhoof.be/files/desktop_config_standard.pdf
>
> Note that this is the 'current' version. The contents might change in
> future, don't refer to it.

I've been sort of following the development of this draft.  It looks like it
would be relatively easy to implement the protocol using UniConf's existing
DBus code as a base.  Since UniConf's DBus support mostly just exists for
demonstration purposes at the moment, we'd be happy to accept any patches
make it support attempts at a more concrete and interoperable standard.  No
standard is much use until there's an implementation, and I think you'll
find writing an implementation from scratch is much harder than basing it on
the existing UniConf infrastructure (file storage, caching, plugins,
existing DBus code, etc).

UniConf's API doesn't support schema enforcement, but that doesn't seem to
be a problem; the schemas and the protocol appear to be completely different
things in this design.  And Havoc would say it's really a client-side issue
anyway.

Have fun,

Avery