A draft for a standard for desktop configuration

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue Sep 13 00:55:32 EEST 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 11:26:38PM +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Comments for section 5.7:
>
> 1) The schema definition misses support for defining enumerations as type.
>
> Suggest to add:
>
> <!ELEMENT enum (choice*)>
> <!ATTLIST enum name CDATA #REQUIRED>
> <!ELEMENT choice (description*)>
> <!ATTLIST choice value CDATA #REQUIRED>
>
> name attribute of an enum can be referred to in the name attribute of a type.
>
> The enum element can be a child of the node element so that a single enum can
> be used for multiple schema.
>
> 2) It's unclear what the item attribute of the schema element is for.

  It seems to me that a DTD captures only a very limited set of the
constraints. It seems to  me that with the use of proper XML Schemas
Datatype regexps and type can for example express in a way more compact
way all the rules from section 5.3 and allow validation of those,
that could be used either from a Relax-NG or an XML XSD Schemas. DTD
expressive power is really really low and I would suggest to provide
either an Relax-NG or a XML XSD Schema. This could be an useful exercise
too, for example why is there no length limit for a key (think mapping
to SQL databases VARCHAR) ?

Daniel