A draft for a standard for desktop configuration

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at nit.ca
Wed Sep 14 18:45:32 EEST 2005

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 03:06:16PM +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:

> I would also add that DBus is type safe by nature so whenever you pass
> values across it it validates the types for you. So its important for
> people here to realise that type validation is occuring automatically
> anyhow at both ends. It would also be impossibe for the daemon to pass
> values to the client as a variant without knowing the type of the value
> from the schema.
>
> Of course if an app or KConfig wants to also do type validation at the
> client end then thats fine - no one is saying you can't (though you will
> be duplicating stuff that dbus is already doing).

You are confusing the concepts of type validation and type
conversion/detection.

If I send you an int, and you wanted a string, you have two choices: reject
it (validation), or accept it (conversion).  DBus allows for either
possibility, so if you strictly want validation, you need to add it by hand
somewhere or another.

Validation also includes more difficult checks, like min/max, regexes, valid
filenames, etc.  DBus validates none of those things.

Have fun,

Avery