Detecting whether a compositing manager is running

Christian Neumair chris at gnome-de.org
Mon Sep 19 11:59:01 EEST 2005

Am Sonntag, den 18.09.2005, 13:22 -0400 schrieb Havoc Pennington:
> On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 09:59 +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > It can be useful for applications and desktop environments to detect
> > whether an application manager is running, for instance to decide
> > whether it should use the rgba visual. According to Matthias Clasen,
> > there are no means to detect this as of writing [1]. Maybe we should
> > have a per-Screen flag which returns whether a compositing manager is
> > running for that particular Screen.
> > Opinions?
> >

> Having a compositing manager selection makes sense, but choosing a
> visual based on whether a CM is running seems very broken to me.
> What if your app starts before the CM, or what if there's no CM at first
> and someone runs one later? There's no way to change the visual
> retroactively.

I want semi-transparent drag icons for Nautilus. I'd composite all
icon-representing GdkPixbufs together into a big RGBA pixbuf. Because a
shape bitmask is also applied to the drag window, the worst that can
happen is that users have icon-shaped opaque drag icons.

--
Christian Neumair <chris at gnome-de.org>