A draft for a standard for desktop configuration

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Wed Sep 21 01:55:56 EEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 21:24 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:

> Some people commented (in private) that LaTex is a document format they
> don't know about (and that it's holding back their contributing). So to
> stimulate contributions, I decided to convert the document to XHTML.

About the schema. What I'm going to alter and want to add before proposal:

- I want to make it possible to have a clean way of enumerating types
- I want to make types and enumerations reusable
- Cascade the translations (rather than embed them)

Additional things that I'm going to pay attention to:

- Investigate whether the xdg schema can be used to create a "WDSL"-like
tool. Specifically for environments like KConfigXT which generates code
based on the schemas of an application.

And finally ..

- Investigate whether I'm "for sure" "not" enforcing type validation
checking at the service layer. Some people seem to get "extremely angry"
about this specific subject, even while it hasn't been proven that the
current version of the specification enforces type validation on the
service layer. So I'm going to do a deep investigation and check for
that.

- Investigate whether I'm not making it impossible to perform type
validation checking in the process of the desktop application. Again,
some people seem to get "extremely angry" about this specific subject.
So again I'm going to deeply investigate and check for it.

Yes, I know the last two are getting hilarious. But I'm really receiving
private e-mails from angry people about this. And I don't know why, yet
when I ask them to specify the problem .. I get no answer. So I guess
I'll have to devote my own time on searching for the problem.

Anyway. If somebody else has as damaged brains as I have .. and is also
willing to help me (sounds unlikely): contact me.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be