A draft for a standard for desktop configuration

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Wed Sep 21 12:33:46 EEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 10:18 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:

> > About the schema. What I'm going to alter and want to add before proposal:
> >
> > - I want to make it possible to have a clean way of enumerating types
> > - I want to make types and enumerations reusable
> > - Cascade the translations (rather than embed them)

I have a question about the DTD/XSD :-) for people who might be
interested:

This is the relevant part of the DTD (I removed the translation and
description part from this E-mail because that part is going to change
into something that uses cascading anyway).

<!ELEMENT schemas (node*)>
<!ELEMENT node (node*|schema*|choice*)>
  <!ATTLIST node name CDATA #REQUIRED>
<!ELEMENT enum (choice*)>
  <!ATTLIST enum name CDATA #REQUIRED>
<!ELEMENT choice (description*)>
  <!ATTLIST choice value CDATA #REQUIRED>
<!ELEMENT schema (type,min?,max?,default,description*)>
  <!ATTLIST schema prefname CDATA #IMPLIED>
<!ELEMENT type EMPTY>
  <!ATTLIST type real CDATA #REQUIRED>
  <!ATTLIST type alias CDATA #IMPLIED>
<!ELEMENT min (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT max (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT default (#PCDATA|schema)*>

I question whether I should put the "min?,max?" elements in the schema
element or in the type element.

So like this:

<!ELEMENT schemas (node*)>
<!ELEMENT node (node*|schema*|choice*)>
  <!ATTLIST node name CDATA #REQUIRED>
<!ELEMENT enum (choice*)>
  <!ATTLIST enum name CDATA #REQUIRED>
<!ELEMENT choice (description*)>
  <!ATTLIST choice value CDATA #REQUIRED>
<!ELEMENT schema (type,default,description*)>
  <!ATTLIST schema prefname CDATA #IMPLIED>
<!ELEMENT type (min?,max?) EMPTY>
  <!ATTLIST type real CDATA #REQUIRED>
  <!ATTLIST type alias CDATA #IMPLIED>
<!ELEMENT min (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT max (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT default (#PCDATA|schema)*>

I'm also questioning whether I should make the <type/> element, just
like the description/translation stuff, cascading. In which case I think
than the <schema/> element.

What do you guys think? I'm especially interested in what Waldo Bastian
thinks about this. Because a code generator (like KConfigXT) will be
affected by this decision. I'm of course taking a look at the kcfg.xsd
that you gave me.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be