Copyright of the desktop configuration specification

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Tue Sep 27 20:41:14 EEST 2005

I know this could become a heated debate, so please try to stay calm,

However I'd like the advice of people who care more about it than I do.

Right now only few parts of the desktop configuration specification*
have a specific copyright note. So that means most of the work is simply
still copyrighted by me (by normal copyright law).

The thing is that I don't care about the copyright of the document. I do
care, however, about it's success. I'd like to make sure the environment
around the specification is as perfect as possibly could be.

I don't want to exclude commercial vendors from using/implementing this
specification. I don't want to make it impossible to extend the spec. I
don't want to make it impossible to create a commercial closed source
implementation. Of course I also don't want to make it impossible to
create a free software and/or opensource implementation.

It would be very nice if extensions would have to be fully publicised if
a commercial implementer wanted to (legally) call their implementation
compatible with the/my original specification. And it would be nice if
that would work recursively (so an extension to an extension should
still be fully publicised if they'd want to (legally) call their
implementation compatible with the original specification and/or make a
reference to the specification).

I'm guessing the LGPL license or the GNU Free Documentation License are
interesting ones.

I'm very interested in any type of advice about this.

*) http://pvanhoof.be/short/?s=desktopstandard

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be