Security issue with .desktop files revisited

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sun Apr 2 02:17:47 EEST 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:59:11 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> The current "solution" in nautilus really sucks, and won't let me even
> open valid files, where the extension disagrees with the data mime type
> discovery.

That's a different (but related) issue, where a file extension does not
match what the file contents says it is.

This issue is that .desktop files are treated specially by the desktops,
and can choose their own name and icon. It doesn't matter what is done
with MIME typing or anything else - it will not affect desktop files
without a change in the spec or implementation.