(no subject)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Apr 13 22:07:15 EEST 2006

On Thursday 13 April 2006 20:59, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 21:31 +0530, nupul kukreja wrote:
> > 2. Now the mime database is stored as XML files, which do not contain
> > the appropriate application to use for that mime type. How is this
> > association achieved?
>
> Association of mime types with applications is done via the
> application's .desktop file. There is a MIMETypes field there, which
> takes a list of mime types, which the application supports. This is
> the information in the mimeinfo.cache in the $prefix/share/applications
> directory, which is generated from running update-desktop-database.
>
> You need to make queries that would look up this information. In order
> to be able to handle this for all menu directories, applications, and
> mime types available on the system, the following specs must all be
> followed:
>
> - XDG Base Directory Specification
> - Shared MIME Specification
> - Desktop File Specification
> - Desktop Menu Specification
>
> I am not sure if the xdgmime code handles dealing with the lookup and
> handling of application associations or not.

In case you are referring to xdg-mime from the xdg-utils package, it does
whatever the running desktop's utility does :)

So I guess gnomevfs-info will query mimeinfo.cache and related files, while
kfile uses KDE3's MIME lookup mechnism, which is pretty sure not using
mimeinfo.cache yet but rather files stored in KDE's mimelnk directories (see
kde-config --path mime)

Cheers,
Kevin