An addition to the clipboard specification

Toni Ruottu toni.ruottu at iki.fi
Thu Apr 20 00:54:18 EEST 2006

  hi

> > I created a patch which sharpens the current specification in the way I
> > was requesting.
>
> >  - when PRIMARY is set, any selection visualization regarding
> >    the old selection (conceptually showing former content of
> >    primary) should be cleared
>
> This may be the traditional way, but it can be also pretty annoying (people
> don't select things just in order to copy&paste them)

  Could you please be more specific. Gtk+ works this way _today_ and I don't
  remember anyone complaining about it.

> and especially given the item below it doesn't make that much sense.
>

> >  - a selection becoming unselected should never unset PRIMARY

  "selection is always in PRIMARY" policy may help user, because
  when she sees something that is selected, she knows she can paste
  it with middle button.

  "PRIMARY is always selected" policy is not that intuitive. With
  such a policy e.g. selecting a single a-character would have to
  select every visible a-character.

  Luckily, both policies work separately and there is no need to
  combine them. "selection is always in PRIMARY"-only is the
  original way.

    --Toni