Ideas concerning desktop application icons

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Aug 27 12:30:57 PDT 2006

Christopher R. Parr wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to start a new project - Ixons (Icons on Unix). Its aim is
> to think about a way to manage all the icons for any desktop.
>
> Interested?
>
> Then have a look at http://ixons.info
>
> Please tell me what you think about this.

1.	There is a standard for where global icons are installed.

2.	There was a recent attempt to develop a standard for where apps
	install their "private" icons but some major KDE developers
	objected.

3.	There is a project to standardize icon names.

When there is full compliance with #1, somehow #2 is resolved, and #3 is
completed and implemented, will there still be anything for your project
to do?

If not, I suggest that you join the project to standardize icon names:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2ficon_2dnaming_2dspec

and participate in further development of the icon theme spec:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2ficon_2dtheme_2dspec

--
JRT