Recommendation for $HOME

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Fri Dec 8 01:17:19 EET 2006

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 04:58:16PM +0100, Thomas Güttler wrote:
> the file system hierarchy standard defines nothing
> about $HOME.
>
> I think a little standard (recommendation) would be good.

I always liked (and use) the standard unix hierarchy. I have
$HOME/etc
$HOME/tmp
$HOME/var
$HOME/bin
$HOME/lib

and it works great. I am not sure why this didn't become a standard
thing to do. the current dotfile situation is horrible. mixing of user
editable configuration (should be in etc/) and program maintained caches
(should be in var/) in the same directory seems just silly.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈