Any standard for setting Desktop Background?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Wed Dec 13 06:55:55 EET 2006

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 00:36:57 +0100 kfs1 at online.no babbled:

> Hi i'm developing an app for setting desktop background from a bash
> script. Do I need to resort to hacks to get it to work with all the major
> DE's or does it exist a standard like xdg-set-desktop-background to do it?

there is no standard. the thing is a wm or de may even have different wallpapers
for different parts of the screen (eg xinerama with 2 or 3 heads or more
viewing 1 root), different wallpapers per virtual desktop (and per screen) or
per root (in multihead where you have multiple root windows) etc. etc.