simple search api (was Re: mimetype standardisation by testsets)

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 01:06:38 EET 2006

2006/12/17, John Tapsell <johnflux at gmail.com>:

> At the risk of stating the obvious, but why not just use SQL?
>
> select files.filename from files,tags tag1, tags tag2 where files.id =
> tag1.fileid and files.id = tag2.fileid  and tag1.key="artist" and
> tag1.value="foobar" and tag2.key="group" and tag2.value="audio"
>

> It seems that all the API is reinventing SQL.
> Why not just use SQL in the first place?

I take it you are talking about the query language..?

I'm not really an expert on SQL so stop me if I'm rambling.

Is it possible to do proximity searches ("foo" appears within 6 words of
"bar"), fuzzy searches (search for words that looks like "foobar"), weighted
words.

Also a design goal is to have the language easily extensible, and I don't
really connect that with SQL (without ending up with something that isn't
SQL anyway).

Cheers,
Mikkel