simple search api (was Re: mimetype standardisation by testsets)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Dec 18 01:53:36 EET 2006

Jamie McCracken wrote:
>Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> Bastian, Waldo wrote:
>>> See the reference below to DBUS sessions. Doesn't DBUS have the
>>> ability to inform any client about connects and disconnects of other
>>> clients to the bus?
>>
>> It does. Any connection or disconnection is immediately notified to
>> the bus.
>
>yes but can it be done at the interface level?
>
>EG how can I tell if an app has connected or disconnected to a certain
>interface?

You don't. This is not a good way of designing an API.

You can only listen to services connecting and disconnecting.

If you need to find an application that has a certain interface, I can
think of two ways:

1) that application acquires a well-known name -- at least with a
well-known prefix. The interface must then be at a well-known object path
too. This solution allows for only one such interface per application.

2) require that each application with such an interface announce itself
when connecting. It is also necessary that they listen for a signal that
requests announcement.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358