Recommendation for $HOME

Jon Dowland lists at alcopop.org
Tue Dec 19 12:28:22 EET 2006

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 03:17:19PM -0800, John Meacham
wrote:
> I always liked (and use) the standard unix hierarchy. I
> have
> $HOME/etc
> $HOME/tmp
> $HOME/var
> $HOME/bin
> $HOME/lib
> and it works great. I am not sure why this didn't become a
> standard thing to do. the current dotfile situation is
> horrible.

I agree utterly. I think the suggestion that
$HOME/{var,etc,...} is too confusing for beginners is
laughable. Are beginners not going to notice things outside
of /home ? Instead, the defaults for XDG_DATA_HOME etc.
force a user to carry around two different naming
conventions in their head. Consistency and precident are
*good* things.

--
Jon Dowland