simple search api (was Re: mimetype standardisation by testsets)

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 08:01:25 EET 2006

2006/12/19, Jean-Francois Dockes <jean-francois.dockes at wanadoo.fr>:

> By the way, I had a go at implementing the simple api, just to get myself
> better acquainted with dbus.
>
> I still think that a trivial interface may be useful. The current one
> makes
> things unnecessarily complicated in my opinion.

Agreed. Most places where you fire of a query an expect to more or less done
with it probably wants the simple api. Apps that use a more smart-folder
like functionality want the live api.

Especially, returning the initial result as a sequence of uris (presumably
> ordered by relevance), and then using them as keys to retrieve properties
> is very awkward on the server side (forces maintaining a map from uris to
> result entries).
>
> I think it would be much simpler to have a single call like:
>
> Query (in s query, in i offset, in i limit, in as properties, out aa{ss}
> hits)
>
> where 'properties' is the list of requested properties, and 'hits' is an
> array of property (name,value) maps, one for each result entry.

I think you are quite right. Except that maybe the output parameter of
simple.Query should be a{sa{sas}} - a map mapping uris to maps of
property-valuelist pairs. The trick is that metadata fields can have several
values (like the simple.GetProperties method). If I request the Email.CC and
Email.To fields for example I'd get something like

{
  "email://mail_indetifier1" : {
    "Mail.CC" : [foo at bar.xyz, emfle at birnan.xyz],
    "Mail.To" : ["linus.torvalds at microsoft.com"]
  }
  "email://mail_indetifier2" : {
    "Mail.CC" : [foo at bar.xyz],
    "Mail.To" : ["bill at osdl.org"]
  }
}

Uri and snippet are just two properties among others. I can't see any point
> in having separate GetProperties() and GetSnippets(), and the list of uris
> that the current Query() currently returns is mostly useless. The current
> GetProperties() and GetSnippets() calls can be emulated by separate
> Query()
> calls requesting adequate property lists if someone really likes them.
>
> I think that this approach is simpler both on the server and application
> sides.

The GetSnippet method must have a query string to match up against -
GetProperties do only need an uri and a list of requested props.
Arguable they could both be merged into Query, but I feel it might be
overkill issuing a separate query to retrieve given metadata fields on a
given uri - that is more like a lookup in my mind (and also is for some
engines).

You can't merge GetSnippet into you main query it is a relatively slow
operation on most engines, so you have to do that after you got the actual
hit.

These was the reasons why I split the methods like I did and I still think
they hold...

Cheers,
Mikkel

PS: Given the latest update to
http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/WasabiSearchLive it might be better to
rename simple.GetProperties to simple.GetMetadata to be consistent. the live
interface has getters and setters for properties on the actual Session and
Query objects.