Recommendation for $HOME

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Fri Dec 29 11:00:35 EET 2006

Dnia 28-12-2006, czw o godzinie 13:55 +0100, David Faure napisał(a):
> On Tuesday 19 December 2006 11:28, Jon Dowland wrote:
> > I agree utterly. I think the suggestion that
> > $HOME/{var,etc,...} is too confusing for beginners is
> > laughable.
> Is it? My wife would surely be _very_ confused with those things in her $HOME.

I really like the XDG* vars approach, where you have .config and .cache
by default but are free to set them up differently.

> > Are beginners not going to notice things outside of /home ?
> That's right. They aren't. They really don't need to go into /etc or /var.

Yes but some people here forget that user != admin/sysop. I work for a
hosting company and some of my users don't even know they are using
Linux. Same applies to corporate desktop users.

--
Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org>
PLD Linux