systray specification...

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Feb 3 09:55:55 EET 2006

oops.. at some point i hit "reply" instead of "reply to list". meh.

On Friday 03 February 2006 00:48, Carsten Haitzler wrote:

> > > i am of 2 minds with this too - it is complex and a fair bit of work,
> > > but has some standardisation benefits for like 95% of systray apps. it
> > > again allows a daemon process to have a systray with only simypl using
> > > xlib to conect to x and use it as an ipc mechanism. it needs no widget
> > > set attached to it to ave a menu at least then :)
> >
> > hm. the lack of a widget set (and therefore being able to be a bare-bones
> > app) is very enticing. but really only if we aren't using X11 because
> > otherwise you may as well have a toolkit around ;)
>
> i do see your point - though any other means of being a systray app will
> require advertising data and likely via some ipc socket - and in the end we
> then either reuire dbus (may as well require xlib then anyway - we are just
> substituting one fat lib for another) or come up with some other heavy
> protocol that one way or another sucks in some big library for
> communications (ICE, or one of dozens of other ipc mechanisms) - the only
> other sane way i see is putting data in files that are shared and
> opened/read. this sounds nice from barebones side of things but loses us
> network transparency of a display : ( either way - any mechanism we come up
> with that is network transparent like the rest of the display is, will end
> up being as complex as using xlib i think- unless of course you have some
> suggestion - something i haven't thought of? please braindump! :)

well, it's not so much the size / complexity issue as it is ubiquity of the
mechanism. while apache (to pick an absurd example) certainly will never
write to xlib and require an X connection around, it just may use dbus. the
less absurd example is the linux kernel which already uses dbus for hardware
events via hal. imagine if hal were able to export its own systray entry.
nice, but not likely not possible if we require xlib.

but like i said, i'm not overly married to the concept of non-X11 IPC. the
common case is desktop apps wanting some sort of representation in a common
spot on the desktop. this is just one of those interesting details. and it's
also fairly easy to move between IPC systems later once we are using IPC to
begin with. so if we start with X11 based IPC, great. if during development
we find error in our ways, we can easily switch course. otherwise, bully.

so, other than stating "we may want to use something other than X at some
point for IPC" for the record, i'm cool with moving ahead with an X based
mechanism.

> thing - if we can send geometry information that should be enouhg to pop up
> a menu or slider etc. at the right spot when needed.

i think this is the safest/sanest route to go at the moment.

> > title entries
>
> true - if menus have titles - yes. :)

they happen to in KDE's systray ;)

> good. thats positive support. i want to improve things here for everyone -
> me and every other wm and DE coder out there as well as the app authors and
> finally the end-users. unfortunately this will mena compromises along the
> way - but lets hoep we make as few as possible :)

=)

--
Aaron J. Seigo