update-desktop-database location

Christian Westgaard chrisw at opera.com
Mon Feb 6 16:46:17 EET 2006

http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html

Does not specify the location of the update-desktop-database script.

I currently test for XDG support like this:

if update-desktop-database --help >/dev/null 2>&1; then

But when update-desktop-database is not in $PATH, I'm out of luck.

Is there a better test? A specced one?

On one machine (SuSE-9.3) I found this to be the location:
${GNOME2_PATH}/bin/update-desktop-database

But if one only has KDE installed... :) I guess one is out of luck again.

I don't want to write 1000 lines of scripts, checking for variations,
I want a oneliner to check for xdg support, is it a dream, or does it exist?

--
Christian Westgaard <chrisw at opera.com>
Developer and Project Manager