How does [Desktop Action ...] work?

Benedikt Meurer benny at xfce.org
Tue Feb 7 11:58:12 EET 2006

Ernst Persson wrote:
> Yeah, I see: (Though they're commented out in the source..?)
>
> #[Desktop Action Enqueue]
> #Exec=bmpx-remote AddUris %U
> #Name=BMPx: Enqueue Files
>
> #[Desktop Action Play]
> #Exec=bmpx-remote PlayUris %U
> #Name=BMPx: Play Files
>
> So there's two actions, "Enqueue" and "Play". What other actions are
> defined already?

Whatever is listed for "Actions" in [Desktop Entry]. The desktop entry
spec contains an example desktop file, which demonstrates this;
unfortunately the example is missing the "Actions" key. The complete
example, according to the spec would be:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Foo Viewer
Comment=The best viewer for Foo objects available!
TryExec=fooview
Exec=fooview %F
Icon=fooview.png
MimeType=image/x-foo
X-KDE-Library=libfooview
X-KDE-FactoryName=fooviewfactory
X-KDE-ServiceType=FooService
Actions=Inverse;Edit;

[Desktop Action Inverse]
Exec=fooview --inverse %f
Name=Foo Viewer (inverse image)

[Desktop Action Edit]
Exec=fooview --edit %f
Name=Foo Viewer (edit image)
Icon=fooview-edit.png

Now, for every action specified in "Actions", the file manager will look
for a [Desktop Action NAME] section and display it in the file context
menu (or anywhere else).

This is how I understand the spec, and this way it is implemented in Thunar.

> Regards
> /Ernst

Benedikt