update-desktop-database location

Stanislav Brabec sbrabec at suse.cz
Tue Feb 7 17:52:39 EET 2006

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 04:40:56PM +0100, Stanislav Brabec wrote:

> > And what about adding pkg-config file desktop-file-utils.pc, as other
> > packages do. It can provide correct value of prefix, bindir etc.
>
> Surely this just shifts the problem to a more obscure one?  This way,
> you'll need to keep $(prefix)/lib/pkgconfig in $PKG_CONFIG_PATH, rather
> than only having to remember to update $PATH.

Yes, but it is already done in products using obscure paths.

In difference to PATH (and "which" binary), pkg-config is intended to
answer questions like:
- Is package desktop-file-utils installed?
- Where are desktop-file-utils binaries installed?
- Which version of desktop-file-utils we are using?

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SuSE CR, s. r. o.                             e-mail: sbrabec at suse.cz
Drahobejlova 27                               tel: +420 296 542 382
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 296 542 374
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/