Request for clarification on menu/file spec

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Feb 8 02:16:21 EET 2006

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 16:56, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Watch out what you ask for, you may get it.

;)

> With such scheme it means that
> after installing 6 applications your search path for a number of resources
> also becomes 6 path's longer.

this is what we have caches for, though, right? so that the extra paths only
come into play, performance wise, on cache updates.

> It also means that applications (in KDE's
> case kded) will need to be modified to watch /etc/xdg.conf in order to pick
> up new applications.

yes. though that's easy enough to do.

> Apart from that there will be a transition period in
> which only recent applications/distributions will support /etc/xdg.conf.

the sooner we start, though ... ;)

> If there is concensus that that is the right long term direction and that
> the benefits outweigh the disadvantages then I guess we should go that way.
> I would like to hear some more cheers of support for that direction first
> though.

the only concern i have is whether or not it's easy enough for 3rd party apps
to modify an xdg.conf file. i don't see why it wouldn't be, but i can see
scenarios happening where 2 apps both add the same path causing useless
clutter.

i wonder if we shouldn't provide some simple command line tools to add/remove
paths. this way in the future if we change course again ISVs won't have to
change what they do (just call "addxdgdatadir /the/new/path" or
what-have-you), we'll just update the tools. this would have the added bonus
of Getting It Right(tm) without app developers having to do much work.

thoughts?

--
Aaron J. Seigo