Limiting Num of Concurrent Users to specific applications

Joe Baker joebaker at dcresearch.com
Thu Feb 9 18:33:01 EET 2006

I'm engineering a terminal server environment where I work.  We plan on
making many applications available to nearly all users on the system.
However, with some of these applications we are limited to a certain
number of licenses.  I would like to float the idea within
freedesktop.org that a part of the menu system might include some sort
of mechanism which would limit the number of concurrent users of a
certain piece of software.

It is arguable that this function could be limited by a launcher script
rather than the menu.  Yet I see an opportunity here for an extensible
framework model.

Features I could imagine are user classes where some users could be
pre-emptable where their running copy would be stopped for someone else
to be able to use another floating license.

I hope this doesn't appear off-topic.

Good Luck!

Sincerely,
Joe Baker