systray spec modifications (RFC)

Bradley T Hughes bhughes at trolltech.com
Fri Feb 17 11:23:17 EET 2006

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> I've attached a test file with some suggested changes to the systray
> spec (as per the thread that was going on). comments sought. anyone?
> is there a general agreement this would be good?

The details look good to me... I'm looking forward to getting to
implement support for it :) However, I have only one suggestion:

> a systray icon conforming to the newer scheme will have either an
> property of the atom _NET_SYSTEM_TRAY_ICON_ID and type ATOM, and
> format 32 or a property of the atom _NET_SYSTEM_TRAY_ICON_NAME and
> type UTF8_STRING on the tray icon window.

How about instead of saying "if either of these 2 properties, then
assume the client is using the new scheme", we could have a single,
authoritative way of saying "this client uses the new scheme". For
example, we could put _NET_WM_SYSTRAY_V2 in WM_PROTOCOLS, or perhaps set
_NET_WM_SYSTRAY_VERSION (for now, to 2 (type Cardinal format 32) on the
systray window.

Bradley T. Hughes - bhughes at trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Sandakervn. 116, P.O. Box 4332 Nydalen, 0402 Oslo, Norway