systray spec modifications (RFC)

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Fri Feb 17 17:51:12 EET 2006

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 08:34:41 -0500 Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> babbled:

> On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 18:02 +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > I've attached a test file with some suggested changes to the systray
> > spec (as
> > per the thread that was going on). comments sought. anyone? is there a
> > general
> > agreement this would be good?
>
> I still think that storing pixel data in properties is ugly as hell,
> and Render images would be a much better fit, but since I cannot
> convince you that system trays will not play a prominent role on
> X terminals in the future, there is probably not much point in
> continuing to belabor this point. After all, the EWMH has survived
> fine with this ugly wart.

the problem is that this would be the first part of ewmh to REQUIRE the xrender
extension (that i know of) to work properly. i have major reluctance to base an
important spec on a still "in progress" extension. :/ but that is my view - i
would like to see other peoples views too - if the majority of peolpe here
think requiring xrender pictures is a good way to go - then we have a different
case. for now it's just you and me agreeing to disagree :)

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com
裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)