autostart spec changes

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 28 19:42:48 EET 2006

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 09:18, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
>  I would propose either to choose DATA_DIRS/xdg/autostart, or use
>  DATA_DIRS/autostart and make sure both GNOME/KDE include the OnlyShowIn
>  field where appropriate.

this makes the most sense IMHO. i'd be happy to add this to the kde .desktop
files that lack it. right now we install:

irkick.desktop
kab2kabc.desktop
kalarmd.autostart.desktop
kalarm.tray.desktop
kallers.desktop
kdesktop.desktop
kgpg.desktop
klipper.desktop
konqy_preload.desktop
korgac.desktop
ktip.desktop
panel.desktop
restore_kmix_volumes.desktop

of those the following are OnlyShowIn=KDE or are not actually autostarted by
default:

kab2kabc.desktop
kdesktop.desktop
khotkeys.desktop
konqy_preload.desktop
korgac.desktop
panel.desktop

leaving us with:

irkick.desktop
kalarmd.autostart.desktop
kalarm.tray.desktop
kdesktop.desktop
kgpg.desktop
klipper.desktop
konqy_preload.desktop
restore_kmix_volumes.desktop

these are murkier entries since one may want to use, for instance, kgpg or
kontact (and therefore kalarm) in a non-KDE desktop env.

all of those "murkier" cases have an X-KDE-autostart-condition entry in
their .desktop files, the value of which is a 4 value comma separated list:

	configfile,configgroup,configkey,default

e.g.:

	X-KDE-autostart-condition=kgpgrc:User Interface:AutoStart:false

it may be worthwhile to implement autostart-condition in the spec so that we
can keep these autostart entries but not bung up the user experience
otherwise.

the complications i see here are:

0. being able to access kconfig settings from a gconf using app and vice versa
1. being able to alter the default based on whether it's in its "native" env
of not. e.g. in KDE perhaps kgpg should default to true, but outside of KDE
perhaps it should require user intervention to have it autostart.

for complication #0, in kde4 we will likely have the ability to use elektra as
a kconfig backend allowing us to access gconf settings if available. any
chance that gconf will get something similar?

>  Also, when disabling services by using the Hidden field, there should be
>  a way for admins to disable this. That is, a CantBeDisabled field (or
>  whatever) that disables any .desktop file with the same name in other
>  top-level directories.

we (KDE) have this via immutability ([$i]) already. it's a sensible and
generic (e.g. doesn't just apply to autostard) method IMHO. i'd recommend
using that approach as it's already widely implemented in KDE and has years
of use that shows it works well for all parties involved (coders, sys admins,
etc)

--
Aaron J. Seigo