Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Jul 1 01:29:08 EEST 2006

Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> [I]t is undesirable for applications to install icons into
> $XDG_DATA_DIRS if there is no actual requirement for doing so.

Why?

IIUC, an app would be installing its theme-able icons in:

	$PREFIX/share/<app_name>/icons/<theme>/...
or
	$PREFIX/share/icons/<theme>/...

where $PREFIX might be:

	/usr
	/usr/local
	/opt/<app_name>
	/usr/local/<app_name>

or in rare cases, somewhere else.

In the first two cases these should be part of the default XDG_DATA_DIRS
path for that app; in the second two cases, the app needs to start with
a script which modifies the environment ONLY for running that app; and
in the case that it was somewhere else it might not work but that will
not be the fault of the standard which was not followed.

Some systems probably require other paths in XDG_DATA_DIRS, but I
haven't used them.

So, were is the problem??  In all 4 reasonable cases, they would/should
have a unique <app_name> in the path unless they were global icons.

--
JRT