_NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL for a corner panel

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Jun 2 14:03:38 EEST 2006

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 18:05, Peter Clark wrote:
>     I hope this is the right list; it had a lot of posts on EWMH, but if
> it's not, could you tell me where to take my question?

 The right place is the wm-spec list (see
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fwm_2dspec).

>     I'm trying to wrap my head around _NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL when it applies
> to corner panels (i.e., does not extend from edge to edge, but only
> occupies a corner). Just for fun, I'm seeing if I can create an updated
> version of the BeOS Deskbar (to give you a mental image of what I'm doing).
> I have a window that sits in the upper-righthand corner of the screen, but
> can't get the right combination for _NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL; either it pushes
> all the other windows down, or other windows can overlap it, or Kicker at
> the top doesn't get pushed politely to one side, etc.

 At least some of this is most probably not your fault. Handling placement in
a non-rectangular area is not exactly trivial. For the last case, it could
perhaps help to configure Kicker to have geometry that you like.

> Given the following
> (hypothetical) numbers, what should _NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL look like?
> Screen: 1024x768
> Deskbar: 256x512
> And yes, the real code detects both the actual size of the screen and the
> actual size of the deskbar; I just want to use real numbers for now to
> understand the concept.
>     Thanks,

 A corner panel should be considered to be at one edge and spanning some
length along it. So for your deskbar in the topright corner it should be
either top=512, top_start_x=768, top_end_x=1023 or
right=256,right_start_y=0,right_end_y=255 (the rest being 0).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org