screensaver and power manager dbus interfaces

Danny Kukawka dkukawka at suse.de
Fri Jun 2 17:39:54 EEST 2006

On Friday 02 June 2006 15:30, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
[...]
> > > 	Name:		setDpmsMode
> > > 	Args:		STRING
> > > 			value:	on		100%
> > > 				standby		<80%
> > > 				suspend		<30W
> > > 				off		<8W
> > > 	Returns:	(nothing)
> > > 			managing the power supply of monitors.
> > > 			This call requests a change in the state of DPMS for
> > > 			the current screen.
> > >
> > > 	Name:		getDpmsMode
> > > 	Args:		(none)
> > > 	Returns:	STRING
> > > 	Descriptions:	Returns the DPMS mode state.
> > > 			See setDpmsMode().
> >
> > Do we really need them? We have the X extensions/functions for that.
>
> for the same reason I think we should add the Reboot and keep Shutdown
> methods, I think it's better if apps use only a standard interface for
> all power management-related tasks than having to use dbus for some
> operations, X libs for another, etc. Of course, as you say, this is just
> a convencience wrapper, but that would make it easier for the developer,
> I think.

But then you need to reimplement (nearly) the complete DPMS Extension from the
X-Server (see www.xfree86.org/current/DPMSLib.pdf: DPMSCapable,
DPMSSetTimeouts, DPMSGetTimeouts, DPMSEnable/-Disable ...) if you would make
it easier for the developer and this is simply: "reinvent the wheel".

Do we really need this? IMO not, there is already a library for this issues
and we don't need one more proxy which call at the end a function of this lib
(which is also more expensive than use the lib directly).

Danny