screensaver and power manager dbus interfaces

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Jun 2 20:14:25 EEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 19:00 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:
> Well gnome-power-manager does this, noone else. You have to give any other
> application the possibility to implement that. Why not through
> org.freedesktop.PowerManager?

Maybe because the interface we're discussing is targeted toward
application authors not power management applet authors?

I think it's perfectly sane to keep the number of methods that the
proposed org.freedesktop.PowerManager interface exports down otherwise
we'll drown in complexity.

Remember that the semantics of the methods exported by said interface
are very different from those that HAL export because the power
management daemon is expected to enforce policy. And our spec for said
interface should clarify this using MUST and SHOULD clauses. What does
this mean? It means that the power management daemon should do a lot
stuff [1] when someone invokes Suspend() on it via
org.freedesktop.PowerManager. That is not the case when you invoke
Suspend() on HAL. HAL only provides the mechanism.

    David

[1] : Privilege checking; should ask apps to save open documents and so
on and so on