Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Jun 24 02:22:42 EEST 2006

Steve Frécinaux wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> I hope that the above contradiction in your own statements will
>> start you thinking -- that you will think about design before you,
>> and other developers, do any more stupid things.
>
> Sorry, I didn't see any contradiction in the above. Icons and
> gnome-icon-theme are totally unrelated, gnome-icon-theme does not
> provide icons for the apps, they should provide their own (at least
> in the gnome world) or they use a standard icon (tango or fdo, I
> don't know, I'm not a theme expert).
>
>> If you don't understand.  An example.  I installed: "gedit" which I
>> note installs an icon: "gedit-icon" which it doesn't use into:
>> "$GNOME/share/pixmaps" perhaps for some sort of backwards
>> compatibility. IAC, the: "gedit.desktop" file specifies:
>>
>> Icon=text-editor
>
> Gedit should not install any app icon. If it does, it's a bug that
> has been fixed since. Gedit is intended to use the standard
> "text-editor" icon, provided by any theme.

Absolutely correct!

> I don't know if it's tango-specific or not anyway, but these icons
> with these name are intended to always be available, no matter what
> theme is actually used.

The problem is that there isn't a HiColor icon: "text-editor" since
GNOME doesn't install it.

If HiColor is where app icons are to be installed and GNOME doesn't
install the app icon: "text-editor" in HiColor, isn't that an inconsistency?

KDE, or other DeskTop, isn't going to look in the Gnome icon theme, it
is going to fall back to HiColor and there isn't a "text-editor" icon there.

--
JRT