Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Jun 24 09:44:51 EEST 2006

Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> KDE uses
> for application specific icons.
>
> It doesn't use XDG_PREFIX and neither should it as long as
> $XDG_DATA_DIR/apps is not part of any XDG specification.

Are you being needlessly picky?

Are you saying that icons are not stored in:

	$XDG_PREFIX/share/icons

but rather in:

	$XDG_DATA_DIR/icons

I was not aware that there was a difference -- actually wasn't aware
that there actually was a XDG_PREFIX googled and find that there is so I
should have said: $<desktop>DIR.

IAC, it has absolutely nothing to do with the main points of my posting
and I see little point in your comment since it doesn't really
contribute the the issue being discussed.

KDE private icons go in:

[except that isn't where I keep icons on my system since the only
solution I found for some XDG issues is to install KDE in
"/usr/kde<version>" and GNOME2 in "/usr/gome2" with the share
subdirectories being links to "/usr/share" -- ugly but it works}

and to standardize this they would go in:

{which isn't really the same, is it? And not really as good to
illustrate my point.}

If this is not part of the standard, SMcC's posting illustrates that
GNOME does not have a standard way to deal with this and pointed out
that KDE does.  I suggest that the KDE method (which works --except for
bugs) be added to the standard if RD can live with it.

--
JRT