Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

Rodney Dawes dobey at novell.com
Thu Jun 29 17:20:30 EEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 00:12 -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> really, this energy ought to be put into completing the icon naming spec. it'd
> do a lot more good.

By all means do I ever agree that more energy should be spent on the
naming spec. However, naming alone isn't going to solve all the
problems. I also find your statement ironic, given that I don't see a
single mail on this list from you, in any threads about the naming spec.
Perhaps you should spend some energy on reading it and giving feedback
there as well. Although maybe I'm mistaken, and there is mail from you.
If so, feel free to point it out and prove me wrong.

For what it's worth, if all the applications follow the naming spec, and
we don't specify where they should install their icons in a way that
prevents conflicts, they're going to end up possibly trying to install
them into the system hicolor theme. This is going to be very nasty.
Hence the entire point of this whole thread.

-- dobey