Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, & menu icons

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 29 20:27:29 EEST 2006

On Thursday 29 June 2006 10:30, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 17:39 +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > So your interest to make it possible for icon theme authors to provide
> > themed evolution icons? That would make sense to me, but that wasn't said
> > yet. Because KDE in itself doesn't care what evolution does with its
> > icons.
>
> No. My interest is to make it possibly to sanely theme app-specific
> icons for any application.

app-specific icons are already sanely themable. we put them in
share/apps/$appname/icons/$themename.

the only time this becomes an issue is if a theme writer wishes to provide
icons for a given app which aren't shipped with that app. and the problem is
one of namespacing, where both app A and B use an icon named foo but which
are different. if that is what you are trying to solve, then Waldo's
suggested addition to the spec makes sense.

if you are simply trying to solve the problem of "application X wants to
install icons for N different icon themes" then that problem is not an xdg
issue and has already been solved for some time within KDE. this is the
problem i thought you were trying to address, specifically because in your