Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, &menu icons

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Jun 30 01:01:28 EEST 2006

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 29 June 2006 01:22, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
>> icons into a $XDG_DATA_DIRS location. It's ok to add these locations to
>> the search path
>
> ... aside from the performance penalty of having yet more paths to look at? we
> already look at a rather large number of directories in the icon spec, no?

I don't see this as a large problem.  Apps that are installed in private
locations -- "/opt/<app_name>" or "/usr/share/<app_name>" -- have to
start with a shell (e.g. Firefox & OpenOffice) that sets environment
variables.  So, it is going to add: "$PREFIX/share" to the beginning of
the XDG_DATA_DIRS list.  So, there is only going to be *one* additional
path to search for a given app.

--
JRT