File origin metadata

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Fri Jun 30 02:41:56 EEST 2006

Claes at work wrote:
> On 6/28/06, Bastian, Waldo <waldo.bastian at intel.com> wrote:
>> Yes, sounds very useful.
>
> I have created a wiki page on extended attributes:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/CommonExtendedAttributes
>
> I have documented current practise, as well as proposed a few new
> attributes that I think will be useful over time

I was wondering when someone would get around to really using the
filesystems' xattr field!

Would there be interest in starting a more complete document that has
common metadata attributes by mime type?

I have to point out that this is one of those rare areas where we
actually get to architect this before any of the mainstream desktops
start using the metadata in any meaningful way.

--Pat