Multiple DeskTops, HiColor theme, standardized icon names, &menu icons

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Fri Jun 30 22:41:53 EEST 2006

>Wouldn't you want to provide compatibility with older versions too?

Older versions of itself? Dunno. Most applications include all the icons
they need and don't depend on icons from previous versions.

>Of
>course, if the goal for KDE4 is to just drop the old stuff without
>compatibility, I don't see what all the fuss is about really. If all
the
>data could just be moved easily, it seems like the proposal is a fine
>one to me.

I think it has several shortcomings as others and myself have repeatedly
pointed out.

>> Yes, dropping a few locations that were added for backwards
compatility
>> wouldn't hurt. That said, after one stat you can drop things like
>> ~/.icons if it doesn't exist, so it may be less bad as it seems on
paper
>> (or not)
>
>Is this a suggestion that it might be a good time to look at breaking
>backward compat in the icon theme spec itself, by getting rid of
>$datadir/pixmaps, for example?

Yes. Given that it has been deprecated for some time already anyway.

>> I don't have a real opinion on that, you may be able to just add an
>> $appname subdir to the existing icon-spec directory hierarchy.
>
>You mean something like $XDG_DATA_DIRS/icons/$appname? I don't think
>that's appropriate, as it would imply that $appname was a theme, which
>it isn't. Apps shouldn't be installing their own new themes.

Well.. since you shoot your own suggestion down already, try again :-)

Cheers,
Waldo