Allowing apps to install packages

John Tapsell johnflux at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 00:36:38 EET 2006

Hi,
  If an app wants to install some files from the distro's repository,
is there currently any projects to try to allow that?

  For example, in a KDE app we may want to install a certain set of
files.  What would be useful would be in a distro-independent way to
say "install japanese_language_pack"   for example.  Then it would be
up to the distro's to provide some mapping from "install
japanese_language_pack"  to running their gui package manager, asking
for root password, and installing it.

Is there such a project already underway, or should I start one?

Thanks!

John