Immutability (was: Re: autostart spec changes)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Mar 3 12:12:37 EET 2006

Vincent Untz wrote:

>>>can this be used for all keys?
>>
>> Yes, for anything.
>>
>> Any key, any section, or any file can have the [$i] flag, which marks
>> that key, section, or file immutable.
>
>Is this documented in any fdo spec? If no, it sounds like a good
> addition to the specs where it's relevant (autostart & menu, eg).

No, it isn't. This has mostly been a KDE extension to the desktop spec
because of the Kiosk framework. We also use it in our configuration files
in the exact same manner.

Adding it to the desktop file spec would mean all other implementations
now need to implement the immutability feature. How comfortable are the
developers with this feature?

As a side-node, KDE also supports another extension, which is [$e]. This
allows for expanding environment variables, like:

Path[$e]=$HOME/Somedir

Would there be interest in standardising this one too?
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cwæð "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.