Immutability (was: Re: autostart spec changes)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Mar 3 23:22:19 EET 2006

On Friday 03 March 2006 04:16, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
>  shouldn't we support this by default, without using the special $e? Not
>  sure if there might be conflicts, but usually, in UNIX config files you
>  can use environment variables, so it makes sense to support them also
>  on .desktop files.

it's more than just env vars, it's full commands. given that "replace this
value with the contents of this env var or the results of this command" seems
to be the irregular and "use this value literally" is the overwhelming common
case, we ought to keep [$e]. it also has the nice side effect of making such
dynamic options explicit, making accidental errors less common.

we'd also have to adjust our implementations and it wouldn't be backwards
compatible either, so ... yeah.. i'd just keep it as is.

--
Aaron J. Seigo